Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Band-Aid, TO, and that kid from that one show

What are Hootie and the Blowfish up to? What about Joey Lawerence? Or Joey from Friends for that matter? The other day the 80's charitable Band-Aid song "Do They Know It's Christmas" was playing on the radio (if you do not know about it, it came out in 84 or so, and was a collaboration of top recording artists, primarily british, that wanted to bring awareness to the famine in Ethiopia). The list of groups and individuals was huge, and these were all at the top of charts. Duran Duran, Boy George and Culture Club, Wham!, Big Country, Bananarama, Spandau Ballet, Heaven 17. I remember watching the video. This was huge. And as I listen to the song it amazes me how quickly stardom was gone for a majority of these singers and bands. There are a few names that remain, Bono and Adam Clayton, Sting, David Bowie, and Paul McCartney to name a few (Phil Collins remains, but in some sort of Karma induced purgatory...). Did these stars know there days were numbered. or was this just their chance for impact? You always hear of the 15 minutes of fame, but maybe it is 15 minutes of impact.

So what does TO have to do with band-aid and child actors. Terrell Owens was at the top of his game in San Francisco. He was a huge star and was commanding the price of one of the leagues top players. I noticed that he is just not what he used to be. And then I was watching a friends rerun the other night and saw the cast, and thought of TO. Or tune into Sienfeld, is TO George Costanza. Will Jason Alexander really ever be seen as anything other than George, no matter what role he plays? He got his shot and his shot was George. Chandler Bing is who Matthew Perry is to us, and he can play a TV writer in a new show, but all we see is chandler. Is TO the kid from the TV show that we wonder what happened to, only to turn up in a police station? Is TO a one hit wonder. Did he misuse his 15 minutes?

So what does that have to do with me, or us? I wonder sometimes if I missed my 15 mintues, did I get my shot and let it go? Did I already sing my one line in a song for charity and that was the top of what I will see. I can think of some incredible things I have been a part of, was that it? Will I get a chance for something greater? And then If I am able to somehow someway be a part of something giant, will it leave as quickly as it came, and then find myself dwelling on the good old days.

I write this in a small office in the basement of a small insignificant building. But reaching for something greater. Reaching to create impact and change. That is my offering. I'm not looking for 15 minutes...I am looking for impact.

Jack

2 comments:

Watchman said...

Jack

I think fame and impact are apples and oranges. 15 min is about all we can hope for with fame and popularity.

Watchman

Watchman said...

Jack,

Just a thought this morning, but I wonder if this is what Jack White was thinking when he wrote "Little Room." Was he "working on something good" thinking it would make him popular, or that it would have meaning? And do we all end up back in the little room eventually?