Thursday, December 21, 2006

Stained Glass Windows

Last night I was watching a broadcast of U2's Vertigo tour stop in Milan. During the show Bono mentioned they were recording this concert for a DVD, "but then you know a lot about films, Italy created the first movies." I thought, "Bono, wrong information. France actually (I think) was the location of early film." Bono continued, "Stained Glass Windows were the first films, and the (he named some cathedral down the road) was the first cinema. Light projected through a frame." Wow, he was right. I know people have issues with Bono, but I just love his insight. I am a huge film fan and hope to someday make films (I just found out a short film I made was accepted in the Omaha Film Festival!!!). Stained glass windows were created in churches to tell the stories of faith to the illiterate believers. Stories from the Bible, of saints, etc. The images would educate and hopefully inspire. They were the first film, some documentary in nature, and others based on true events (or so it was believed).

Thus is my dilemma in film-making. I have a faith, a strong faith (although some would not agree and that makes me happier than you know). But how do I include that in film making? I do not want to be a "Christian" film maker. I do not even want to be called "Christian" much anymore. First of all it has to do with the word Christian and not about the faith or ideals that are central to the Christian faith. It just seems to me that when people use the word Christian, it is more of a moral designation than a faith designation. If some one says, "He is a Christian man..." that usually means he is good and is not necessarily connected to his faith. I have met some atheists, who were far more "good" than some Christians I have met.

Second of all a Christian film-maker is too much of a label to overcome. Christian music is not really competitive in the musical world. It sells a lot, because Christians like music and most are not allowed to buy music from the secular world (you could invite the devil in your house, just because of the drum beat...for instance...this was actually taught at a conference). A friend (the watchman...check out is blog at www.fromthewatchman.blogspot.com) and I have a joke "If you like Green Day you'll love...fill in the blank with some Christian "punk" band". This is from stickers you will find on Christian music and Christian book stores. So I do not want to have a DVD of my movie at the Christian bookstore with a sticker that reads..."if you like Love Actually...you'll love this Christian Bullshit that isn't really even close to as good as movie, but morally you better choose this or you might lose your soul and lead your family to destruction and desolation."

Stained Glass and the original cinema kind of had a corner on the market. Back in the Holy Roman Empire days, the church was pretty much everything. You had a captive audience. You controlled distribution. And yet if you have taken time to look at stained glass, it is some of the most beautiful art of its day. And if you have a chance to sit and see the sun gleam through a stained glass window and see the colors stream across the faces of those kneeled in prayer or mediation, it is transcendent.

So this is my task, to tell stories that inspire, that give hope, but that do not sell out or that become Christian propaganda. I am excited to see where this road leads me. I am actually excited to stop by a few churches in town with huge stained glass windows and just spend some time mediating and praying and thinking of stories that are much bigger than I am, and yet I find myself a part of...

Jack

3 comments:

Troubled Saint said...

Jack-
I pray courage for both you and watchman in your tasks....

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson


I expect to see great things from you!

TS

Blythe Lane said...

Jack the Warrior of Blessing,

Wow. Stumbled onto your blog through Watchman's. So glad to see you sharing your thoughts here and I look forward to hearing more! I love the way you process life...the way you think always challenges me to ask different questions! Looking forward to hearing more...

Larka said...

Yeah! I am thrilled that you are willing to share your observations and ponderings. I have always seen you as a master of blessing. It seems so easy and natural for you to engage with people, to have awareness and a voice. I am excited for this glimpse of a name - Rennaissance Man, to appear stronger in unique ways.
L